Fishing is a great hobby. Like with any other hobby, it brings happiness to those who practice it and helps fill your spare time.
If you love going fishing, you probably already know the importance of having good fish weighing scales. In fact, if you are aiming for a trophy, you will want to have tournament fishing scales.
All around the world, fishing is associated with health and happiness. However, in ancient times, it was a practice human beings had to resort to in order to survive.
Today, we have other food resources, and we can just go to the closest grocery store and grab what we need from the shelves. Nonetheless, fishing has remained an activity done by many for sport and fun.
Why is fishing good for you?
There are many reasons fishing is a great hobby. The first one is that it is a stress reliever.
Ask anyone who loves to fish how they feel when they are calmly sitting on a riverbank waiting to catch something from the water. Some even say that it’s “freedom” what they feel.
It is like meditating. You sit there, relax, and all of your problems go away – at least while you are fishing.
Another great reason that makes fishing good for you is that you can do social bonding. You will see how you will build strong relationships with those you share this passion with.
You can also meet other people with the same interests and share experiences and have fun together. It is a hobby that you can do on your own or with others.
Fishing also helps you stay active. Today, our lives have become more static than ever, most of us having to sit down all day at work.
Going fishing promotes a healthier way of life, in contrast to many people’s sedentary lives in the modern world. Even if you don’t catch any fish, you will still be in the outdoors, moving around and having a good time.
But, if you DO catch fish, it is a spectacular feeling. The waiting and effort will have been entirely worth it.
This is another benefit of fishing: a sense of self-fulfillment. You learn the skills involved in fishing, how to be patient, how to manage frustration, and when you achieve your goal, you obtain a sense of fulfillment.
However, some also love fishing for the thrill and challenge involved in the sport. Some people also like to try different methods, even if none of them guarantee success.
Nonetheless, fishing is still an option for catching food in its most natural form. In fact, many people prefer fresh fish instead of canned or frozen food.
What items do you need for fishing?
When it comes to fishing, it is better to be over-prepared than to realize you are missing something as soon as you start. Therefore, here is a list by Reserve America that we are sure you will find useful:
- Hat: Protects you from the sun and rain.
- Extra pair of socks.
- Extra pair of shoes in case you plan to go in the water.
- Jacket or vest with many pockets.
- You need to pack items according to the type of fishing you’ll be doing. Rods, reels, and lines will depend on that.
- Pack a backup of your rod.
- Take an extra reel with you.
- Take several spools of line with you.
- Several hooks, sinkers, swivels, and corks.
- Buckets and coolers for live bait.
- Two tackle boxes.
- Fishing net to scoop up the fish.
- Long-nose-pliers for removing fish hooks from the mouth.
- Knives to clean the fish.
- Tape measure.
- Fish weighing scales to weigh your catch.
Additional items for fishing
- If you need a fishing license, be sure to get one.
- Waterproof bag for your cell phone and wallet.
- First aid kit.
- Insect repellent.
- Toilet tissue.
How to use fish weighing scales
Among some of the most important items to have when fishing are fish weighing scales, as we mentioned above. The best fish scales will give you an accurate weight on what you have caught.
A digital fish scale is the best option today. But how do you use it properly?
First of all, make sure you have everything ready with you, so you don’t have your fish suffocating while preparing your items. Imagine it is you holding your breath underwater, and that is how the fish must be feeling outside the water.
Once you have your fish out, you can pop the scale’s hook on the upper part of the fish’s lip. There is a thin layer there, right by its nostrils.
Then, let it down so the scale can weigh it. Please do not touch the fish so that you can get a proper weight; hold the scale by its handle.
Another option is to insert the hook under the gill plate. However, many fishermen prefer not to open any holes on the fish and use lip grips instead.
If you decide on lip grips, weigh them alone before weighing the fish because they will vary the results.
Who uses fish-weighing scales?
Fish weighing scales are commonly used by commercial fishermen who supply market chains and other vendors. Competitive anglers also need to weigh their catch, and for that, they use fish weighing scales.
However, recreational fishermen also use fish weighing scales to measure what they have caught and make sure fish do not exceed any size restrictions.
Best fish weighing scales
Here are some of the best fish weighing scales we recommend for your fishing hobby and that you can find on Amazon.
Dr. meter is a great fishing weighing scale that works for small and large catches alike. It can measure from a mere 0.2 pounds up to 110 pounds.
It has a very sensitive sensor that provides precise measurements and can convert pounds to ounces or kilograms. It also comes with a bonus measuring tape to know the length of the fish you have caught.
The measuring tape comes in centimeters and feet and reaches up to three feet.
- Stainless steel hook. Very durable and large hook concealed in the scale’s back slot so that you can hook up and remove from the fish’s mouth.
- Weighing unit conversion.
- Data lock.
- Auto-off functions.
- Built-in carrying strap.
- It also works for weighing luggage and other items.
- It works with 2 AAA batteries.
- Big LCD display for night vision.
- The scale’s handle may be considered small.
HEETA Fish Scale
HEETA is an excellent scale for weighing fish and other items as well. It is a digital scale with a clear, backlit LCD display.
You can use this scale outdoors and take it with you on fishing trips because it weighs only 8.3 ounces. Powered by 2 AAA batteries, it is a great option for fishermen.
The scale comes with one dismountable and soft nylon woven strap. This is to protect your items if you are measuring big cases.
Nonetheless, the strap can be easily unscrewed to hook the bottom of the hanging scale.
- A concealed hook slot so that you can put the hook into the slot for space-saving.
- Highly accurate measurement.
- It works with three units: kilograms, pounds, and ounces.
- It can weigh anything from 0.2 pounds to 110 pounds.
- Extra measuring tape included.
- Tare/zero function available.
- Auto power off.
- Low battery indication.
- It has a comfortable grip thanks to its extra-wide, soft plastic handle.
- It is not waterproof.
- The measuring tape is hard to use.
KastKing Waterproof Floating Digital Fishing Scale
The KastKing digital fish weighing scale is a great product because of its waterproof properties. It also has floating properties, so you will not lose it if it falls on the water.
It is a durable and lightweight scale that will give you a strong and reliable grip when weighing your catch of the day, whether you are using gloves or not. The item weighs only 5.6 ounces.
- Dual-mode digital weight measurements for an accurate weight reading.
- Weigh your catch in pounds and ounces from 0 to 50.
- Easily convert to kilograms.
- The memory option allows you to store up to 9 different weights.
- Easy storage and transport.
- No-puncture lip gripper included for quick and easy weight measurements.
- Batteries included
- Wide handle opening to be used comfortably by any hand size.
- It floats.
- Includes a non-puncture lip gripper.
- Lightweight, durable handle.
- It does not include measuring tape.
- Batteries do not last long.